Big Teal Elephant

Big Teal Elephant
What did you call me?

Monday, September 21, 2015

The Phlegmy Awards

I used to really enjoy watching the Emmy awards.  It's no secret I watch a lot of TV and always have, so seeing my favorites nominated and sometimes winning was always fun.

Last night I had it on for all of 5 minutes so I can't really comment too much on it since I didn't watch, but I can tell you the dude who hosted was so horrible, I couldn't watch. ( I was told later it was Andy Samberg)  There was a lot of flack on the internet today regarding Game of Thrones winning best drama over Mad Men.  I haven't ever watched Mad Men, so I can't really express an opinion other than historically the industry has consistently thumbed it's nose at anything sci-fi or fantasy, so GoT winning is a good thing to me.

I have watched 4 seasons of GoT and currently watching season 5 and I have to say, despite the graphic violence and re-writing the story, I think they are doing a great job with it.  I really think all the actors and actresses (yeah I know it's not p.c. to use 'actress' any more, but I think that's stupid) are very well cast in their roles and they are doing a fine job.  (Here's a hint for you - if you decide to watch GoT, don't get too attached to a certain character... lol)  The sets, costuming, cgi are all fantastic.  The story is complex and compelling.  They deserve all the nominations and wins they get.

So what turned my Emmys into the Phlegmys?  I seriously think they need to divide network TV from pay TV to even the playing ground.  It's really hard for the prime time network shows to compete with HBO and Showtime.  If they did that, then I'm sure some of my favorite shows would be in the running!

From now on, I'm doing my own awards!  The BTE Emmys :-)

Outstanding, I don't like to miss network shows - Castle, Nashville, Blue Bloods, and the winner is.... a 3 way tie!!

Outstanding Actor in the above - Nathan Fillion
Outstanding Actress in the above - Stana Katic
Outstanding Supporting cast - Castle ! - (it's nothing without Havie, Ryan, Martha, Lainie, and Alexis.)
Outstanding just because he's still so handsome after all these years - Tom Selleck (yeah baby)
Outstanding musical night time soap opera that Empire copied - Nashville!!
Outstanding for showing the importance of family - Blue Bloods
Outstanding pissed off all the time cop - Donnie Wahlberg, Blue Bloods

Outstanding non-network show - Justified, close second is Hell on Wheels
I really loved Justified and hated to see it end however....
Outstanding Best Ending EVER - Justified
Outstanding actor in a big hat - Timothy Olyphant - I ♥ Raylan



Outstandingly gross but fun to watch - Bones

There's few comedy shows I like but I don't fret if I miss them - Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, and Blackish all get the BTE seal of approval

Outstanding on PBS - the hoity-toity soap opera Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, and newcomer POLDARK! The winner is: POLDARK of course LOL but the other two are so fabulous, it's really a 3 way tie.  I'm going to miss Downton and CtM and I'm anxious to see future Poldark episodes

Outstanding new comer to my TV set  -  AIDAN TURNER - the one, and the only


Outstanding series that got cancelled and it really pisses me off - FIREFLY - this will be on my Emmys every year, forever.


Outstanding characters I love to hate and really want to jump on the screen and slap them, past and present- Cary Warleggon, Poldark - heartless bastard!!  Someone kill him, please! Mrs. O'Brien, D.Abbey - gone now but not forgotten,  Mrs. Olsen, Little House on the Prairie - gone now but not forgotten, Not on TV, but I'll throw it in anyway, Delores Umbridge from Harry Potter.  LOL

Well, I think I can add a lot more categories, but this is getting really long, so I think I'll go make some coffee instead. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Step right up and spit it out!